Palm wine is a sweet, pleasant beverage made from the sap of several palm tree species, such as Palmyra, date palms, and coconut palms. It is liked by a large number of people who enjoy it sweet or sour, rejuvenating them all the time, but it is much more than that!
It is one of the most widely consumed beverages on the planet. It can even be claimed to be the most popular, as practically everyone who has lived in West Africa, Central Africa, Asia, the Caribbean, or South America can tell you about it. The sweetness, in particular, is unlike most drinks, and yet it still has many medicinal benefits.
Health Benefits of Palm Wine
- Improves the structure of bones and hair: Palm wine has vitamins, zinc, magnesium, and other nutrients that help nourish the skin, hair, and nails of both fingers and toes. All of these nutrients play a big role in the improvement. It also aids in the promotion of new body cells by eliminating and replacing dead cells, giving the skin a soft, smooth, and improved appearance. Palm wine can also be applied to the skin to treat rashes, eczema, and other skin disorders, especially in youngsters.
- Improves eye health: Palm wine is rich in vitamins C and B, both of which are beneficial to the eyes. While vitamin C aids in the development of the body’s connective tissues and the blood vessels of the eye, preventing problems such as cataracts and macular degeneration, vitamins B1 and B12 aid in the resolution of vascular issues affecting the retina, which can lead to chronic inflammation and other issues. In general, vitamins help keep your eyes healthy and lower your risk of getting eye problems as much as possible. Potassium also keeps the eyes healthy and moist, as a shortage of potassium can produce eye twitches or muscle spasms as a symptom of eye dryness. You can’t get this benefit from any other alcoholic drink, even ones that say they do. This may be the only reason why people in the villages, especially our grandparents, have better eyesight because they drink palm wine, which seems to be their favorite alcoholic drink.
- Anti-cancer properties: Antioxidant-rich foods are known to reduce cancer risk by preventing oxidation processes in the body, which can induce chemical reactions in the body, resulting in damage to key organs and cells, ulcers, inflammation, and other problems. Palm wine is high in antioxidants, which help protect the body’s cells from free radical damage and combat cancer. Vitamin B2 is one example of an antioxidant found in palm wine (riboflavin).
- Helps build body structure: Protein is a necessary ingredient that the body cannot live without, and palm wine is high in amino acids, which serve as the building blocks for the macronutrient protein. As a result, it aids in the development and improvement of body cells, as well as the storage of nutrients in the body, which are essential for the proper functioning of the body’s organs. It also aids in the restoration of the body’s tissues, bones, and muscular systems.
- Helps lactation: Most people, especially those in the countryside, are aware of one of the roles of palm wine in the body. Though it is often thought that drinking palm wine helps nursing mothers produce more breast milk, this has not been scientifically confirmed. However, this does not negate the fact that most ailments and cures for various health disorders are derived from naturally existing plants and vegetation that our forefathers have been using for centuries.
- Prevents cardiovascular diseases: because of its potassium content, it’s a good beverage to help fight a variety of cardiovascular ailments. Potassium is beneficial to the body and aids in its proper functioning; the ideal level in the body is between 3.5 and 5 mmol/L. It helps nerves and muscles work well, which helps the heart rate return to normal and blood pressure go down or stay the same. Palm wine should be drunk in moderation so that the heart and the rest of the body get the potassium they need. Having too much (hyperkalemia) or too little (hypokalemia) potassium in the body can cause irregular heartbeats, which can lead to serious and even life-threatening health problems.
- Strengthens the immune system: The high concentration of minerals, vitamins, protein, carbohydrates, fats, and probiotics in palm wine may assist in strengthening your immune system. It is a comprehensive beverage drink that may aid in the development of your body’s defenses against diseases. Drinking this wine, according to certain African traditional medicine specialists, helps to retain eye sight, protect the skin from illnesses, and improve male fertility. More human studies are needed, however, to completely comprehend its mechanics.
- Reduces anxiety: aged palm wine may contain small amounts of alcohol as well as probiotics, which may aid in the relief of anxiety attacks. In recent investigations, probiotics have been found to help lower anxiety by altering sequences in the gut-brain axis. Even though palm wine might be a carminative, more scientific research is needed to find the right amount of alcohol and probiotics for this effect.
How is palm wine extracted from the tree?
Palm wine is made from the sap of palm trees and fermented naturally with yeast. Oil palm, raffia palm, date palm, iron palm, and coconut palm are among the palmae species used to make the wine. It takes 48 to 72 hours to ferment.
The wine is tapped in one of two ways: the first is by draining it from the palm tree blossom. Climbing onto the tree, creating a cut, and installing a clay pot or plastic container for the wine to flow out is how this is accomplished. The second procedure is uprooting the tree before making a trunk incision. After that, the tube is fastened to a clay pot or gourd. The sap slowly drains away. The tappers use the second method, which is sometimes referred to as “destructive,” because they destroy enormous areas of forest in the process.
Fresh sap, on the other hand, is high in sucrose, sweet, and low in alcohol. However, within 24 hours, the sucrose content drops by nearly half due to microbes acting on the sap and turning it into wine.
Palm wine is a tasty drink that’s high in antioxidants, probiotics, and minerals. It also has numerous health benefits, such as boosting immunity, promoting lactation, and preventing anxiety attacks. More research is still needed, though, to find the best ways to make and store the drink so that it is safe to drink.
The reason for this is that some of these preservatives and sugars distort the wine’s originality, making it unhealthy for our health. Finally, try to stay away from fermented palm wine as much as possible because it is harmful to your health. Palm wine that has fermented is like spoiled fruit. They are only beneficial in exceptional circumstances.