Bitter leaf, as the name suggests, is a bitter herb/plant whose extracts, barks, and stems are used for culinary and medicinal purposes. According to medical practitioners, the leaf known scientifically as Vermonia Amygadalina has a number of benefits that people should take advantage of. We realize that drinking bitter leaf juice isn’t the most satisfying thing in the world, but believe us when we say there’s really nothing but sweet perks for your overall well-being.
Considering that just coming into contact with bitter leaf can end up leaving your hands tasting bitter for hours, can you imagine how you feel about drinking bitter leaf juice right now?
Africans have used this herb to treat a variety of diseases for thousands of years. It doesn’t matter that bitter leaf is usually found in African food. It has also been used in Africa for its medicinal properties, which have now been proven by modern science.
Traditionally, the leaf has been used to treat a variety of ailments, including malaria, typhoid, diabetes, diarrhea, tuberculosis, gallstones, and kidney disease, as well as to prevent cancer and lower blood pressure. Some of its benefits include the following:
- Relieves stomach issues: Bitter leaf is useful in the treatment of stomach upset, diarrhea, dysentery, and other gastrointestinal tract diseases. A cup of bitter leaf juice daily can do a lot for your stomach. According to research, the plant may also provide some protection against stomach ulcers. The antioxidants in bitter leaves are thought to contribute to these beneficial gastric effects.
- Enhances fertility: When it comes to the reproductive system of women, bitter leaf is very impressive. Having some bitter leaf juice can help a woman get pregnant because the chemical compounds in bitter leaf extracts promote hormonal balance and boost your immune system, which can help you fight off toxins. When your genital hormones are restored to balance, your chances of becoming pregnant increase. Bitter leaf plant extract may even improve sperm quality. Overall, the increased amounts of vitamins and minerals in bitter leaves are effective for overall health and will benefit a couple attempting to conceive.
- Weight loss removal: Bitter leaf juice’s components make it an excellent therapy for taking off that extra fat you’ve been trying to get rid of. Having some bitter leaf juice in your diet can help you get rid of bad cholesterol and lose weight.
- Lowers blood pressure: Bitter leaf juice’s bitterness helps to lower blood sugar levels and control blood pressure. Doctors recommend bitter leaf to people who are hypertensive or diabetic because it has potassium, which is good for hypertension because it flushes salt out of the body.
- Prevents and reduces diabetes: Phytochemicals, vitamins, and other nutrients such as proteins, lipids, carbohydrates, ash, and other components are thought to work together to lower blood sugar levels, which in turn keeps diabetes in check, according to research. This means, as a diabetic patient, it is important you include bitter leaves in your diet.
- Helps with insomnia: Although some people fall asleep as soon as their heads hit the pillow, many people struggle to sleep. Insomnia can range from a minor annoyance to a health condition. Bitter leaf has traditionally been shown to aid sleep. Having a drink of bitter leaf juice before bedtime is thought to induce a state of calm and relaxation that promotes sleep.
- Detoxification: Bitter leaf is well-known for its detoxifying abilities. Its juice can be used to cleanse your system. Toxins can cause a variety of health issues, ranging from gastrointestinal to fertility disorders, and even cancer. It is also essential to cleanse your body of toxins. As a result, bitter leaf is extremely beneficial to your health because it aids in the detoxification of your body.
- Good for bones and teeth: Bitter leaf contains Vitamin C, which is a powerful antioxidant. And we are all aware of the health effects of vitamin C in terms of dental health. As a result, using bitter lead can improve your oral health. Similarly, the bitter leaf contains traces of vitamin K and a variety of other minerals that are beneficial to your bones. The use of bitter leaves can help prevent bone tissue weakening, also known as osteoporosis.
- Removes acne and pimples: Bitter leaf is high in vitamins and aids in the removal of toxins from the body. As a result, using it can help you treat the breakouts on your face. You can either drink bitter leaf juice or apply a bitter leaf paste to your face to see the outcome.
- Enhances metabolic functions: Vitamin B1, also referred to as thiamine, is essential for the human body’s metabolism of lipids, amino acids, and glucose. Thiamine is an important dietary supplement that can be found in a bitter leaf. It helps the body oxidize fats to make lipids, which is one of the body’s most important processes.
Aside from the numerous health benefits, you should keep in mind that too much of anything is bad for your health. So the most important thing is to keep track of any remedy’s dosage. The bitter leaf contains a variety of medicinal drugs. As a result, if taken in large quantities, it can cause side effects.
Iron deficiency can result from consuming too much bitter leaf. It is also not advisable to consume bitter leaves while pregnant, as it may result in miscarriage. As a result, it is critical to seek the advice of a healthcare professional or herbalist before consuming this plant.